Up to three Frank Knox Memorial Fellowships will be awarded to students from Australia for graduate study at Harvard University in academic year 2016-2017.
- Knox Fellowships are open to men and women who:
- are citizens of Australia at the time of application and who are normally residing in Australia; AND
- have completed or will complete a first or higher degree at an Australian university*; AND
- are studying for a first or higher degree and will graduate in the academic year 2015-2016; OR have completed a first or higher degree and graduated no earlier than 2011.
- No application will be considered from any student already in the United States.
- Knox Fellowships are not awarded for undergraduate study or postdoctoral research.
- Each Knox Fellowship applicant must also submit an Application for Admission directly to the Harvard graduate or professional school of his/her choice. Knox Fellowships are awarded only to those candidates that gain admission to Harvard as full-time degree-program students or – as permitted by certain Harvard schools – as non-degree Special Students or Visiting Fellows. Applicants should contact the particular Harvard school they wish to attend for further information about degree and non-degree programs offered by that school. Each applicant must meet the particular admission requirements, timetable and deadlines of that school. Applicants are urged to begin correspondence with that school’s Admissions Office at the earliest possible date. Applicants should submit Applications for Admission to the appropriate school as early as possible and need not wait for the deadline.
- Knox Fellowship applicants seeking admission to Harvard Law School should have completed their resident university education and hold a basic degree in Law before applying for an advanced degree program such as the Master of Laws (LLM).
* Citizens of Australia who are currently studying in or graduated from a university in another Knox-eligible country may be eligible to submit a Knox Fellowship application. This will be handled on a case-by-case basis and candidates are asked to contact Rebecca Lock at the Committee on General Scholarships at Harvard University. Contact information is listed below.
- All those interested in applying must use the official Frank Knox Memorial Fellowships application form (PDF).
- A complete application must include:
- A completed and signed Fellowship Application Form
- Curriculum vitae
- Short essay of no more than 1,000 words, which provides an account of the applicant’s academic pursuits, intellectual interests, extra-curricular activities, and the reasons for his/her desire to study at Harvard University; the essay should also explain the applicant’s plan of study at Harvard and his/her future career plans.
- Certified copies of all academic transcripts
- Two confidential letters of recommendation.
Submitting the Application
Candidates must submit fellowship applications through their Australian University liaison according to the deadline and process established by their university. A list of Australian university and campus contacts is available as a PDF.
In cases where an applicant is no longer affiliated with an Australian university or an applicant's university is not listed on the list of Australian university contacts, the applicant may submit their application directly to the Committee on General Scholarships at Harvard University. These applicants should contact Rebecca Lock to inquire about the deadline and procedure.
Candidate Selection Process
- Candidates will be selected on the basis of academic excellence, strength of character, and potential for leadership in the applicant’s field.
- Fellowship offers will be determined based on the recommendations from Australian universities, Harvard University admission decisions, and the review by the Committee on General Scholarships.
- Mrs. Knox expressed the hope that recipients of Knox Fellowships, after gaining knowledge and experience from study in the United States, would return to their native countries to become leaders in their chosen fields.
For additional information, please contact:
Committee on General Scholarships
14 Story Street, 3rd Fl.
Cambridge, MA 02138
|List of Australian Contact Universities||10 KB|
|Australian Application and Guidelines||46 KB|