*** Please note, we are no longer accepting applications for academic year 2017-2018 ***
Up to three Frank Knox Memorial Fellowships will be awarded to students from Australia for graduate study at Harvard University in academic year 2017-2018.
- Knox Fellowships are open to men and women who:
- are citizens of Australia at the time of application and who are normally residing in Australia; AND
- have completed or will complete a first or higher degree at an Australian university*; AND
- are studying for a first or higher degree and will graduate in the academic year 2016-2017; OR have completed a first or higher degree and graduated no earlier than 2012.
- No application will be considered from any student already in the United States.
- Each Knox Fellowship applicant must also submit an Application for Admission directly to the Harvard graduate or professional school of his/her choice. Knox Fellowships are awarded only to those candidates that gain admission to Harvard as full-time degree-program students. Applicants are urged to begin correspondence with that school’s Admissions Office at the earliest possible date. Applicants should submit Applications for Admission to the appropriate school as early as possible and need not wait for the deadline. Preference will be given to candidates pursuing full-time degree programs.
- Knox Fellowship applicants seeking admission to Harvard Law School should have completed their resident university education and hold a basic degree in Law before applying for an advanced degree program such as the Master of Laws (LLM).
- Knox Fellowships are not awarded for undergraduate study or postdoctoral research, nor do they support medical research, post-doctoral research, or any other research appointment. They are not available for part-time programs or Executive Education programs. Frank Knox Fellows must be in residence during the first two years of their degree program. (The fellowship will not support students whose programs require extensive field-work during this period.)
* Citizens of Australia who are currently studying in or graduated from a university in another Knox-eligible country may be eligible to submit a Knox Fellowship application. This will be handled on a case-by-case basis and candidates are asked to contact Rebecca Lock at the Committee on General Scholarships at Harvard University. Contact information is listed below.
- All those interested in applying must use the official Frank Knox Memorial Fellowships application form (PDF).
- A complete application must include:
- A completed and signed Fellowship Application Form
- Curriculum vitae
- Short essay of no more than 1,000 words, which provides an account of the applicant’s academic pursuits, intellectual interests, extra-curricular activities, and the reasons for his/her desire to study at Harvard University; the essay should also explain the applicant’s plan of study at Harvard and his/her future career plans.
- Certified copies of all academic transcripts
- Two confidential letters of recommendation.
Submitting the Application
Candidates must submit fellowship applications through their Australian University liaison according to the deadline and process established by their university. A list of univesity contacts is available as a PDF.
In cases where an applicant is no longer affiliated with an Australian university or an applicant's university is not listed on the list of Australian university contacts, the applicant may submit their application directly to the Committee on General Scholarships at Harvard University. These applicants should contact Rebecca Lock to inquire about the deadline and procedure.
Candidate Selection Process
- Candidates will be selected on the basis of academic excellence, strength of character, and potential for leadership in the applicant’s field.
- Fellowship offers will be determined based on the recommendations from Australian universities, Harvard University admission decisions, and the review by the Committee on General Scholarships.
- Mrs. Knox expressed the hope that recipients of Knox Fellowships, after gaining knowledge and experience from study in the United States, would return to their native countries to become leaders in their chosen fields.
For additional information, please contact:
Committee on General Scholarships
14 Story Street, 3rd Fl.
Cambridge, MA 02138
|List of Australian Contact Universities||10 KB|